Book Reports / Lesson Plan
Autor: moto 20 March 2011
Words: 3393 | Pages: 14
Philippine Normal University
National Center for Teacher Education
College of Languages, Linguistics and Literature
Department of English
In partial fulfillment of the requirements in
Teaching and Testing of Literature
A Semi-Detailed Lesson Plan in Teaching Literature
Using the Epitaph and News Report Strategies
For Third Year High School
Ann Kimberly B. Baltazar
Carmina M. Carillo
III – 13 BSE English
Prof. Marla C. Papango
A SEMI-DETAILED LESSON PLAN IN TEACHING LITERATURE USING THE EPITAPH AND NEWS REPORT STRATEGIES FOR THIRD YEAR HIGH SCHOOL
At the end of the 60-minute English class, the students are expected to:
A. arrive at the meaning of words through context clues
B. describe the characters of the story
C. examine the experience and actions of the characters to underscore the theme of the selection
D. distinguish worthwhile human values
E. participate collaboratively
II. Subject Matter
A. Topic: Following the Characters of a Short Story
B. Title: "The Tell-Tale Heart" by Edgar Allan Poe (see attached file)
• Enotes. (2011). The tell-tale heart. Retrieved at http://www.enotes.com/tell-tale-heart-text/the-tell-tale-heart?start=1
• Buehl, D. (2001). Classroom strategies for interactive learning. Delaware, USA: International Reading Association
D. Instructional Materials:
• Epitaph samples
• News report samples
• "Follow The Character" diagram
The teacher introduces new words. She uses the words in sentences and provides context clues to aid the students in arriving at the meaning of the words.
1. When James put on his Superman costume, his dissimulation was complete for no one could recognize him.
2. He had the sagacity of a judge, but the cunning of a master criminal, which is a highly dangerous combination.
3. His room was as black as pitch with the thick darkness.
4. Christian tried saving Lisa from ...